Ascent from the moon is initiated by starting the program
P12. EL3D models the first few
minutes of the ascent profile as the LM pitches over and flies into the dark
side of the moon. Later versions
will include the entire flight through docking. Once you are satisfied you are on your
way you can skip to the terminal phase of docking with the Orbital Ascent
- Start the Ascent Program by entering V37E12E. You are now t-minus one minute and
- Enter PRO.
The desired downrange velocities are shown in the appropriate
registers (press F2 for more details)
- Make sure PGNS switch is in Auto
- Enter PRO again. A checklist item 203 appears
in DSKY Register one. That is
confirmation PGNS is in Auto.
If it isn’t you will get a warning message.
- Enter PRO.
Back to the countdown.
- At t-minus 35 seconds the screen will blank while AGC
does intense final computations.
- At t-minus 29 seconds the screen reappears and counts
down to 5 seconds.
- It again blanks and a flashing 99 is displayed. The AGC is asking you to approve
the launch. Quickly hit PRO
and the countdown sequence is again visible. At t-minus zero ignition occurs and
the ascent stage takes off.
- After a short vertical ascent the LM pitches forward
to begin its acceleration into lunar orbit. You can ride along for awhile but
EL3D presently does not take you all the way into a correct lunar orbit. As you leave the scenery area you
will see the moon but you are also flying into the dark side of the moon.